Outbound Lead Generation – Automation Tools
Information about pricing, accuracy, and impact of outbound lead generation tools can be found in the attached spreadsheet. Best practices for this type of lead generation include creating or identifying a buyer persona, crafting a value proposition and targeted messaging, and leveraging research during the entire process. The continued use of chatbots, hyperpersonalization, and influencer marketing will be growing trends in the lead generation market.
Outbound Lead Generation Tools
- Growbots is one of the tools that can be used for outbound lead generation as well as other marketing and web management solutions.
- According to G2, Growbots has an accuracy of 7.6/10 regarding contact data accuracy.
- FindThatLead has a starting price of $49/month. This software can help users to build large client lists to inform future prospects.
- Growlabs was acquired by RollWorks. Reviews of this software report a contact data accuracy of 98%.
- In addition, companies report a drastic increase in traffic and a shorter timespan for closing sales.
Best Practices for Outbound Lead Generation
1. Identifying the Types of Buyer
- What It Is
- Although outbound marketing represents reaching out to unknown potential clients, this does not mean buyer personas can not be identified. A brand can have one buyer persona or many depending on their market and product offering.
- Creating a buyer persona means obtaining specific information. This should include the industry, job title, age, personal and professional goals, and challenges faced by the prospects.
- This information can in part be gathered from contacts, existing customers, and other people related to the industry in question. The use of analytics from company data can also be helpful in this process.
- Why It Is a Best Practice
- Creating a buyer persona allows for more specific targeting when employing outbound lead generation strategies.
- Knowing who the ideal client is allows for adjustments of the strategy used and it helps the marketing and sales team to focus their efforts and use resources more efficiently.
- This can also be useful for overall lead generation as well as tailoring the content, services, and products offered by a brand.
- Industry Experts
- According to HubSpot, a company considered a leader in marketing automation, creating a strong buyer persona requires market research. That said, a brand can create one buyer persona and later develop others as necessary.
- Eric Siu is the CEO of Single Grain, a digital marketing company. He recommends the use of segmentation after buyer personas have been identified. Furthermore, he reports that creating buyer personas can increase the effectiveness of a website up to five times.
2. Having a Clear Value Proposition and Targeted Messaging
- What It Is
- The messaging of any outbound lead marketing campaign should clearly transmit what the brand is offering and the solutions it can provide. The more targeted the messaging, the better.
- Targeted messaging directly speaks to the needs of a prospect. This increases engagement and also helps in eliminating leads that are not a match for the brand.
- When it comes to cold emails, having the right message on the subject line is essential to get the attention of potential customers.
- Why It Is a Best Practice
- Messaging should be targeted for different reasons, one of the main ones being spending. Reaching and cultivating the wrong leads to later find out they are not the right match for the brand can be very costly.
- Furthermore, crafting the right message can help in creating a story and a value proposition that encourages a prospect to interact with the brand.
- One of the benefits of outbound lead marketing is that the customer is contacted immediately, instead of a brand waiting for them to take the first step. This is why it is so important to have the right message for the right prospect.
- Something to keep present is that a value proposition can change as customers find new uses for a product or show different needs. A brand willing to adapt should also make changes to its messaging accordingly.
- Industry Experts
- Callbox Inc, a company that has received six high-profile awards from Clutch, a top business rating and reviewing company, highlights the importance of targeted messaging.
- Furthermore, Callbox also proposes adapting the messaging strategy according to the needs of the prospect in order to stay current.
- According to BusinessTown, a business development platform created by entrepreneur Bob Adams, writing a good value proposition involves defining the audience, highlighting what sets apart the product or service, and why it is more suitable than that of the competitors.
3. Exhaustive Research
- What It Is
- Research is instrumental before starting an outbound lead generation campaign. Therefore, exhaustive research is needed at multiple levels, from keywords to having updated contact lists.
- This best practice involves identifying keywords that represent the intention of the buyer. Ideally, the keywords should have a high search volume but low competition, which is a challenge.
- Furthermore, research can also be done to identify potential referral options, identify competitors and their offerings, as well as creating a database that can be used by the sales team.
- Why It Is Important
- Research is so important because it is the base on which other strategies and best practices are built. It should be one of the first steps taken by any brand interested in growing its leads.
- This process can be done by the brand itself or it can hire researchers to find the leads. Either way, research should focus not only on the prospects specifically, but also on the overall market.
- Furthermore, research aids in identifying the value proposition, which has been highlighted as a best practice as well. According to a study, 96% of buyers want to know how a brand is valuable to them. This can not be proposed without proper research.
- Industry Experts
- According to HubSpot, 69% of buyers will be more willing to accept a meeting if they are approached with research data related to their needs or interests.
- In the case of C-Level executives, the content should be so well researched that it is 100% tailor-made for the specific buyer.
- Cience proposes a cycle for outbound lead generation that illustrates some of the best practices identified as well as others that can be useful, such as reporting and analyzing the efforts and results from the campaign.
Lead Generation Trends
1. Chatbots Will Continue to Drive Conversational Marketing
- The use of chatbots has become widespread across multiple websites from different industries and sectors. This is because they can be an excellent tool to gather information, such as emails, at a low cost for the brand.
- That said, it is important that the bot used is perceived as helpful by the customer. Otherwise, if perceived as annoying or problematic, this could drive away potential clients.
- It is expected that chatbots will perform 85% of customer interaction by 2021. Following these trends, it has been reported that approximately 50% of businesses are planning on investing less in their mobile apps and more on chatbots.
- Another reason why chatbots are so useful for lead generation is because they can conduct surveys and quizzes that help brands to better understand their audience.
- Furthermore, the most recent chatbots provide more personalized responses, something that is highly valued by customers and potential prospects.
- According to Keith Williams, a chatbot consultant “Chatbots should become generically more efficient at identifying the intent of a user.”
- Despite this, Ram Prabhakar, Head of Solutions at Xerago, has stated that “AI cannot replace humans but will complement them. More often than not only the co-pilot model will work and NOT autopilot.”
2. Customer Experience Will Focus on Hyperpersonalization
- Hyperpesonalization refers to tailor-made marketing messaging that refers as specifically as possible to the needs of a customer.
- This trend has grown so quickly, that now 72% of consumers engage exclusively with marketing that is hyperpersonalized according to SmarterHQ.
- It only makes sense that marketing professionals responding to an Ascend2 survey stated that one of the top priorities of hyperpersonalization is improving the experience of the customer.
- One of the indicators of the strength of this trend is that, according to a study, up to 90% of participants would agree to provide their behavioral data in exchange for more personalized marketing.
- Companies leveraging this trend include giants such as Spotify, which encourages users to customize their choices as much as possible.
- According to Deloitte, after the COVID-19 pandemic “enabling hyper-personalization across e-commerce, marketing automation, and customer engagement platforms will be extremely important.”
- In the context of lead generation, one of the features of hyperpersonalyzation according to Deloitte is that it allows for real-time customer segmentation.
3. Influencer Marketing Will Continue to Thrive
- Influencer marketing helps brands to reach a wide number of potential customers -usually within their market- by selecting a representative with a large following and an identity that matches the brand.
- One of the drivers that continues to fuel influencer marketing is trust. While only 33% of consumers trust ads, 90% trust their peers, and influencers are seen as such.
- Furthermore, 80% of marketers find influencer marketing helpful according to a study.
- Something new in this context is that as larger influencers become more unattainable, brands are now looking for microinfluencers, with number of followers ranging from 10,000 to 1,000,000.
- Combined with this trend is the use of content video, which is another upcoming marketing trend. According to statistics from 2019, the most effective content types from influencers were in video format.
- According to Lauren Hallanan, Head of Marketing at Chatly, the growing trend of using microinfluencers provides more authenticity to the messaging sent by the brand.
- Furthermore, she points out that influencer marketing can be instrumental to build the reputation of a brand, something that will drive the conversation and generate leads.
- Jared Augustine, CEO at the social media marketing platform Julius, states that after the pandemic “brands should focus on two things as they select influencer partners–storytelling, and engagement rate.”