There are 20 examples of advertisements aimed at Canadian consumers. Category one has four examples, category two has two examples, category three has four examples, category four has four examples and category five has three examples. There are also three examples in French.
Category One — Sore Throat, Fever, Headache, or Muscle Aches
Location — Strategy Online Magazine — December 2016
Location — Facebook December 2017
Advil Canada Facebook Page — Video Feb 2018
- Although the page had no ads specifically for colds, it did have the following for general pain.
Smart Canucks Print Ad — January 2017
- This ad provided coupons in the magazine to be cut out and to be downloaded from the online version.
Category Two — Decongestion of a runny or stuffy nose
The only product with any information that was relevant to this request is Sudafed. One of their product web pages highlighted the different kinds of pain it can alleviate and the second is a header on their YouTube channel.
Sudafed — Canadian Website — Current
- Sudafed positioned its consumer information to highlight the three separate problems that its formula can assist.
Sudafed — YouTube Channel Header
Category Three — Soothing a cough
Buckley’s has a subway ad and a website ad for its award-winning ad campaign. Robitussin has a Facebook video and an ad in a flyer.
- To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Buckley’s brand, an award-winning campaign demonstrated just how those awful-taste faces have looked over the past century.
- The result was “101 ads that take Canadians all the way back to the beginning of Buckley’s, one awful-tasting spoonful at a time. “
Location — Toronto Subway
- The campaign was in-market for two months beginning in October 2019, dominating full subway train interiors along Toronto’s busiest subway line (Yonge/University).
Location — Buckley Website
- They also created digital initiatives that drove people to the Buckley’s website which presents a gallery of 101 pictures that engages Canadians
- This ad was on a Walmart Flyer. The date was not available, but it is also on the current Walmart website.
Category Four — Combined Remedies for Multiple Symptoms
- This category has two ads for Buckley’s. One is a video from their video channel and the other is from their Facebook page. Vick’s DayQuil has a video from YouTube. NyQuil has a link to three similar videos on Facebook from a 2016 campaign. One of the videos is still the most popular on the site.
Buckley’s Liquid Cold and Flu Gels — Vimeo
- A video was posted on Vimeo in 2018. It is one of many Buckley videos on the channel. A screenshot of the opening is shown below.
Buckley’s Canada Facebook Page
- A six-second video shows Buckley’s cough syrup being thrown at, and sticking to a wall with the tag line “Stick it to 7 cold & flu symptoms with Buckley’s Complete + Mucus”
Vicks Nyquil — YouTube
- Vicks has a video on YouTube which can be seen here. It was released in June 2017. A screenshot is shown below.
Vicks DayQuil — Facebook
- One of three similar videos can be seen on the Vicks Canada Facebook page. All three videos are paintings with an audio overlay of a person coughing.
Three natural remedies, Cold-FX from a magazine, Echinaforce Sore Throat Spray from a third party Facebook page and Jameson Flu Shield from their campaign “Purity is Priceless” are shown below.
- Published in Best Health Magazine in August 2020
Echinaforce Sore Throat Spray
- National Nutrition Facebook Page on September 2020.
Jameson Flu Shield
- This visual was published in the magazine Media in Canada with an article concerning Jameson’s second campaign on “Purity is Priceless”.