Support for restaurants in the US through the COVID pandemic is primarily offered through non-profit foundations from the food and beverage industry, such as the Restaurant Employee Relief Fund. There has been some support from corporate America, such as Coca-Cola and other organizations.
- Coca-Cola provided 8,000 of its employees with $100 delivery credit for one of the major American food delivery services, such as DoorDash, Grubhub, UberEATS, or Skip The Dishes. They also implemented “routines to order takeout meals from food service customers as a thank-you to associates working hard to produce our products.”
- #GreatTakeoutInitiative was sponsored by High Wide & Handsome Marketing LLC and administered by Prize Logic, LLC. The Grand Prize was “takeout for a year” awarded as $5,000 and 100 prizes of $50 gift certificates.
- The Restaurant Employee Relief Fund, led by Guy Fieri, and with the participation of over 50 companies and organizations and 15,000 individual donors, raised more than $21.5 million for RERF. More than 43,000 restaurant workers were awarded $500 grants. Roughly 60% were female between the ages of 21 and 25, and roughly 50% were minorities.
- The Restaurant Workers Community Foundation (RWCF) has a website that lists nonprofit organizations supporting restaurant workers which include the RWCF itself, as well as the James Beard Foundation relief player, the USBG (Bartenders) Relief Fund,
- FEMA is managing the PPE support for the United States. Food Service is considered an essential service by the Department of Homeland Security. On FEMA’s website is a section called “Preservation Strategies for Non-Healthcare Settings”. In this section, FEMA outlines guidelines for the use of PPE. They do not reference any national support for PPEs.
- A review of the PPE given by FEMA to states is available on this site. All of it appears to be for health care workers.
- Touch Bistro has provided a list of government relief programs available to restaurant workers and owners. Some are generic. The ones that are specifically targeted to the restaurant industry have been listed above.