Life Coaching / Performance Coaching: Benefits
Life/performance coaching is beneficial in several ways, some of which include; improvement in an individual’s performance, targets, and goals, contribution to personal learning and development, self-awareness, development of better skills and behaviors, clarity of vision, a greater sense of responsibility, and provides the opportunity to correct behavior/performance difficulties.
LIFE COACHING INDUSTRY
- Ninety-nine percent of people interviewed in an International Coaching Federation (ICF) on the effectiveness of life coaching said that their experience working with a life coach as rewarding, and 96% stated they would do it again.
- Recent statistics by the ICF indicate that there are currently 53,300 part-time and full-time coaches worldwide compared to 47,500 in 2011. Up to 92% of these coaches are currently active.
- In 2017, the US personal coaching industry had a market size of $1.08 billion, up 6.5% from 2016. The market is expected to reach $1.38 billion by 2022 at a CAGR of 5.4%.
BENEFITS OF LIFE/PERFORMANCE COACHING
1. Clarity and Direction
- In the US, there are about 20,000 personal coaches, 68% of whom are women. They provide clarity in individual’s lives concerning vision and the path for success.
- They achieve their objective by first establishing who one is, what things are meaningful to them, and the ideal life that they would want.
- Life coaches help guide clients through specific aspects of their lives such as fitness, health, relationships, personal and business goals, among others.
- When individuals are unsure about what to do with their lives, and how to do certain stuff, life coaches help them in determining what they can possibly do and how to, given their potential, available resources, state of mind, interests, and attitude.
- Simply, life coaches help clients to know what they want, why they want it, and how they can get it.
2. Goal Setting
- Life/performance coaches help individuals with goal setting by helping them understand their immediate and future needs.
- Given their skills and expertise, coaches can pose leading questions that can help individuals to discover certain things about themselves, including short and long-term goals. They help clients to stay organized and make realistic, actionable, and timely plans to get their desired results.
- Additionally, life/performance coaches ensure that every step in the client’s plan is specific and attainable within a specified period. Well-defined goals contribute to better performance and increase the chance of success.
- The International Coaching Federation’s study on the effectiveness of life coaching reported that 65% of respondents stated that working with a coach helped them improve their performance at work.
- Through the help of life coaches, individuals improve their skills in setting their own goals and targets.
- Life coaches help clients to discover themselves in terms of obstacles, insecurities, and any other issues that may stand in the way of them getting what they want.
- Whether low self-esteem, lack of confidence in oneself, and absence of a support system, limiting beliefs among other issues; life/performance coaches work around the same issues to turn them into strengths such as self-belief, positive attitudes, higher confidence levels, and progressive beliefs.
- In the work setting, more employees need help with overcoming obstacles that hinder their performance in the workplace.
- A study conducted by the International Coaching Federation reported that 80% of participants working with a life coach helped them improve their self-confidence.
- In the US, more and more companies have realized the benefit of having life coaches instead of mental health counselors to work in-house with employees (no stigma).
- As such, life coaching encourages personal learning and development , and self-awareness, encourages the development of better skills and behaviors.
4. Feedback and Support
- Life/performance coaches are useful in determining and exposing clients to effective techniques and strategies necessary to influence their thoughts and behaviors towards positivity.
- They provide useful, honest, and unbiased feedback to clients on their performance (considering set goals and their timelines), and recommend areas of improvement, change of activities, and encouragement.
- Life coaches also provide emotional/moral support, resources as determined, such as books/magazines or equipment, among others, to help clients towards their goals.
- As cheerleaders, they celebrate milestones achieved and put clients back on track when they’ve swerved astray. Through feedback and support, individuals performance is enhances
5. Accountability and Commitment
- Having decided on what actions each client needs to take, life/performance coaches will ensure that clients are 100% committed to achieving them.
- Life coaches check in with clients regularly to ensure that they don’t stray too far from the agreed path of success. For example, in a case with fitness and weight loss programs, the coach will ensure that the diet plan and work-out schedules are followed faithfully to guarantee faster results.
- Making clients accountable to their actions along the way is helpful in culturing a greater sense of responsibility in them.
Life Coaching / Performance Coaching Clients: Types of Professionals
- The music industry is a dynamic and ever-changing profession which requires one to constantly come up with new songs in order to keep themselves relevant and continuously grab the attention of the audience and satisfy their musical needs. Therefore, some musicians enlist the services of a life/performance coach to help them raise their standards when they feel they have reached a dead end.
- The life coach then assists the musician(s) by giving them the advice to help them surmount some of the challenges that might be hindering their progress as artists and that could be preventing them from reaching their full potential. Just as the music group Metallica did when they hired a life coach.
- A life coach then trains the musician to put them in a position where they can challenge themselves and be better than what they think they can be and sharpen their awareness to maximize their personal and professional life.
- A life coach also gives the musician the added advantage of being present to hold them accountable to what they had set out to achieve.
2. Sports Person/Athlete
- Sports is a demanding and high-performance industry that requires full focus to perform at an optimal level and have an edge over the competitors.
- A life coach can also help the athlete in overcoming their fears and personal struggles. They do this by coming up with mental tactics and manoeuvres that help maintain their focus during their sporting activities.
- A performance/life coach can guide, assist, and inspire the athletes to help narrow the gap between where they are and where they want to be like. Von Miller who had issues with the law in the past, hired a coach to help turn his life around. Now, he’s not only a Super Bowl champion but also an MVP.
3. Actor and Actress
- Life coaches help actors and actresses to be highly successful in their field by maintaining focus to achieve their goals.
- Brad Pitt, Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, Sandra Bullock, Angelina Jolie, and George Clooney are examples of highly successful actors and actresses who have previously enlisted the help of a life coach to help them focus better and achieve their goals.
- They also help them in preparing for auditions by sharpening their audition techniques to bring out the best impression as well as assisting them in working on set.
- The life coach also helps them define their voice and niche, to master, for example, drama and single-camera situations or sets or multi-camera sets.
- They can also help them find an agent or manager or revamp their representation in order to move forward. Life coaches also help actors and actresses by giving them advice that balances their acting careers with their family obligations or other responsibilities.
- Life coaches help entrepreneurs create foundational habits by solidifying their vision and streamline their entrepreneurial pursuit as in the case of the chairman of Alphabet (former CEO of Google), Eric Schmidt.
- They also help them create a marketing strategy that is aligned with today’s modern competitive business world and to build a team that can best help them fulfill their roles as leaders.
- Life coaches also work with entrepreneurs in order to find ways of optimizing revenue generation and in setting up systems and structures that enable their businesses to thrive.
- A life coach helps a politician to thoroughly explore the basics of running their office to ensure that they create the best vision to assist them to put together a team that will support their vision as in the case of former U.S. President Bill Clinton who worked with life coach Tony Robbins.
- They work with politicians to develop political leadership goals that reflect their character so that their constituency can better get to know who the person is and what they stand for.
- Life coaches work with politicians to prepare them for opposing views and put them in a good position to effectively take part in civil, intelligent debates and handle opposing viewpoints with integrity.
- Life coaches guide and train politicians on their speaking style so that they are comfortable in front of different types of groups which could be holding similar or divergent views to theirs.
- Life coaches assist also after an election—whether holding office or assessing a loss—to maximize the agenda, vision, and plan for future success.
6. Sales Person
- Sales is an insistent job that requires demanding skills to maintain key performance indicators and this constant expectation to fulfill targets can at times bring stress.
- To cope with the stress, a life coach can help formulate focused sales strategies to put them in a better position to handle the sales expectations and the stress involved in the workplace.
- The life coach can also help them uncover if low sales are brought about by poor sales strategies and company goals or if the salesperson requires sales management training altogether.
- A life/performance coach trains the salesperson to not only develop effective sales strategies but also teach them how to approach potential clients and refine their persuasive skills throughout the entire sales process.
Life Coaching / Performance Coaching: Quotes
Six Quotes from reputable entrepreneurs including Richard Branson, Eric Schmidt, Bill Gates, Bob Nardelli, Oprah Winfrey, and Marc Benioff that address the importance of having a life coach are provided below.
- BRIEF: This quote was the opening statement of Bill Gates in a Ted Talk.
- QUOTE: “Everyone needs a coach. We all need people to give us feedback. That’s how we improve.”
- BRIEF: This quote was presented by Eric Schmidt, Chairman of Alphabet and former CEO of Google.
- QUOTE: “Everybody needs a coach”
- BRIEF: This quote was commented by Oprah’s regarding her life coach, Martha Beck.
- QUOTE: “She’s one of the smartest women I know.”
- BRIEF: This quote was presented by Richard Branson regarding his coach and mentor, Sir Freddie Laker, who helped him achieve his goal.
- QUOTE: “It’s always good to have a helping hand at the start. I wouldn’t have got anywhere in the airline industry without the mentor ship of Sir Freddie Laker.”
- BRIEF: This quote was presented by Marc Benioff, Founder, and CEO of Salesforce, to his life coach, Tony Robbins.
- QUOTE: “Tony Robbins and his strategies and tools have been at the core of our culture from the beginning. He has been one of the critical keys to Salesforce.com’s leadership in cloud computing and its growth into an over 6 billion-dollar company.”