The top ten successful HBO franchises of all time are The Larry Sanders Show, Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Leftovers, Game of Thrones, Veep, Succession, and Sex and the City.
Successful HBO Franchises
- Several industry lists rank the most successful HBO franchises/series/shows of all time as the most popular ones of all time. We have sifted through the lists and provided the series that are the most mentioned in the top ten of all the lists.
- According to Rotten Tomatoes, the top ten HBO series of all-time are The Larry Sanders Show, Los Espookys, Random Acts Of Flyness, The Defiant Ones, A Black Lady Sketch Show, Mr. Show With Bob and David, Barry, High Maintenance, Last Week Tonight With John Oliver, and Sally4Ever.
- According to Thrillist, the top ten best HBO original series/shows include The Wire, The Sopranos, The Larry Sanders Show, Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Leftovers, Game of Thrones, Veep, Succession, and Sex and the City.
- According to the Cosmopolitan, the top ten best HBO series ever are Sex and the City, The Sopranos, Big Love, Girls, Big Little Lies, Game of Thrones, The Wire, Veep, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Westworld.
- As per Esquire, the best HBO franchises of all time are The Wire, The Leftovers, The Sopranos, Sex and the City, Game of Thrones, Veep, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Deadwood, Watchmen, and Six Feet Under.
- Vulture ranks the following series as the best HBO shows of all time: The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire, The Larry Sanders Show, The Leftovers, Sex and the City, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Succession, Enlightened, Veep, and Game of Thrones.
- According to the Delite, the best HBO shows of all time are The Larry Sanders Show, The Leftovers, The Wire, The Sopranos, Enlightened, Game Of Thrones, Deadwood, The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling, The Night Of, and The Corner.
- As per Paste Magazine, the following are the best HBO series of all time: The Wire, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Barry, Six Feet Under, Chernobyl, Game of Thrones, Enlightened, Succession, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Veep, Deadwood, and Sex and the City.
Top Ten Successful HBO Franchises of All Time
- We have chosen the top ten successful HBO franchises/series of all time as those mentioned the most times in the top ten in the lists above.
- Therefore, the top ten successful HBO franchises of all time are The Larry Sanders Show, Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Leftovers, Game of Thrones, Veep, Succession, and Sex and the City.
Plans for New Content/Original Series to be Launched in 2020/2021
- HBO’s parent company, WarnerMedia announced that the new streaming service, HBO Max is set to be launched on May 27th 2020 at a monthly subscription cost of $14.99.
- Current HBO Now subscribers with direct billing from HBO will access HBO Max at no extra cost when it will be launched while those subscribed through AT&T and Charter will get an automatic upgrade to HBO Max.
- The new streaming service will debut with TimeWarner’s existing content like “Turner Classic Movies, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Crunchyroll, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Rooster Teeth, and Looney Tunes.”
- The network has also purchased rights to shows such as Friends, Sesame Street, The Big Bang Theory, and Studio Ghibli films.
- At launch, the streaming service will have original HBO shows such as the Game of Thrones prequel dubbed House of Dragon, an adaptation of Strange Adventures, a series based on Green Lantern, a comedy series called DC Super Heroes High, a new comedy series called Rap Sh$t, and College Girls.
- According to WarnerMedia executives, HBO Max will have 1,800 movies when it’s being launched.
- Other original movies and series to be released on HBO Max are Raised by Wolves, Adventure Time, 80 new Looney Tunes shorts, Five Conan O’Brien stand-up specials, South Park, and Studio Ghibli films.
- The new streaming service will have 31 and 50 original series in 2020 and 2021, respectively, with new episodes being released weekly.
- WarnerMedia also signed partnerships with creators such as JJ Abrams, Caley Cuoco, and Melissa Rosenberg who will produce more content for HBO Max.
HBO’s Media Spend and the Estimated Value of the Business
- According to the Motley Fool, AT&T spent $14.3 billion on content in 2018 and is likely to spend way more with HBO Max on its way.
- HBO also spent $2 billion a year before its acquisition and it is likely to spend more on HBO Max. After its acquisition, HBO spent an extra $500 million on content.
- As of December 2019, HBO had generated $5.81 billion in subscription revenues globally, while it spent less than $100 million on advertising.
- According to AT&T’a 2019 annual report, the company expects its “premium content to drive revenue growth from both the current wholesale distribution through traditional pay-TV providers and our new video streaming platform, HBO Max, to be launched in May 2020.”
- As per AT&T’s annual report for 2019, the company expects HBO Max to have 36 million subscribers by 2020 and 50 million subscribers by the end of 2025. In addition, they project that HBO Max will generate $5 billion in annual incremental revenue by the end of 2025.
- HBO’s operating revenue for 2019 was $6.749 billion.
HBO’s Consumer Segments and Target Market
- According to Bob Greenblatt, former NBC entertainment chairman and HBO Max new chief, HBO has “a slightly older, 40-plus audience.” Greenblatt also says that most of the shows that are planned on HBO Max are more appealing to the young adult audience.
- To make sure that both young and old audiences are served, HBO and HBO Max may be bundled together in one app so every age demographic has something to stream.
- HBO Max looks to add content that is appealing to kids and young adults with different genres such as YA and unscripted, which are largely missing from the current HBO.
- According to Greenblatt HBO has a “higher price point and doesn’t automatically include the whole family. You think it’s an adult service.”
- According to Marketing91, HBO’s target consumer segment has always been “the middle and upper-middle class section of society in cities between age-group of 15-35.”
- According to The Hollywood Reporter, Euphoria was the first teen drama that HBO produced and it targeted a younger audience than most shows on the streaming service.
- Another consumer segment offered by HBO is HBO Latino which provides content in Spanish.